Environmental sustainability is becoming more and more important in the lives of every human being and the operation of every business. The Ovintiv Events Centre and Spectra Venue Management are committed to raising awareness and taking action to make its facilities throughout the world more environmentally friendly with a company-wide, comprehensive campaign called “Step Up.”
- We recycle all cardboard products an estimated (need number from d and t)
- Various recycling bins placed thru out the building to encourage recycling
- We recycle all of our cans and bottles! Encana Events Centre staff pick thru and sort all bottles and cans, once they are separated they are transported to the recycling depot by employees
- We recycle all non magnetic metals ( copper, brass, aluminum, etc.)
- We recycle all used electronics and computer parts!
- We recycle our fluorescent light bulbs! Many fluorescent lights contain mercury, an element that is hazardous to the environment and human health. Ensuring that mercury-containing products are properly and safely recycled or disposed of is one step that can be taken to protect environmental and human health.
- All office paper products are shredded and recycled (We saved 23 Trees in 2012!)
- All hand towel and toilet paper products are made out of recycled materials
- All cooking oils used at the Ovintiv Events Centre are recycled into biodiesel
- All plumbing fixtures at the Ovintiv Events Centre, including shower heads and sink faucets, are low flow fixtures which dramatically reduce water use.
- We use a hot water recirculation pump system that helps reduce water usage! This provides instant hot water when you turn on the tap reducing water waste and energy.
- All Major Pumps and fans at the Ovintiv Events Centre have VFD’s (variable frequency drives) on them. This allows us to adjust the fans and motors to very low speeds significantly reducing energy consumption
- All of our air handling systems at the Ovintiv Events Centre have a heat recovery ventilation system on them. The heat recovery ventilation system captures the heat from exhausted air and recycles it by preheating the incoming fresh air. This provides fresh air and improved climate control, while also saving energy by reducing heating requirements.
- Over 90% of the lighting at the Ovintiv Event Centre if high efficiency fluorescent lighting/LED Lighting the remaining 10% will be swapped out to high efficiency LED lighting
- The Ovintiv Events Centre has power factor correction equipment placed on the main electrical system. This allows the building to have a better control of our power use by controlling any surges of electricity that might occur.
- The Ovintiv Events Centre uses high efficiency condensing boilers for its main heating system
- The Ovintiv Events Centre uses overnight temperature set-back. This reduces the temperature in areas of the building during un-occupied periods to help save energy
- All fridges and freezers at the Ovintiv Event Centre are energy star certified
- The Ovintiv Events Centre refrigeration plant water treatment system uses reverse osmosis, as opposed to harmful chemicals.
- The Ovintiv Events Centre has 2 Electric Vehicle charge stations to promote using electric cars or traditional fossil fuel vehicles
- The Ovintiv Events Centre uses the Orbio water system for its cleaning chemicals. The Orbio 5000-SC is green seal certified.
Future and Ongoing Projects
South Peace Community Multiplex
- 2014 Outdoor lighting switch over to LED – Switching over to High efficiency outdoor lighting fixtures. this offers energy-savings, cost-savings, low-voltage operation, a reduction in CO2 emissions, and is environmentaly safe.
- 2014 Heat recovery ventilation system for Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre – The heat recovery ventilation system captures the heat from exhausted air and recycles it by preheating the incoming fresh air. This provides fresh air and improved climate control, while also saving energy by reducing heating requirements.
- Ongoing switching out high energy usage lighting fixtures to LED – Targeted areas are the Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre and upper lobby at the Ovintiv Events Centre
- Ongoing-continue to install pipe insulation on heating pipes
- Future Rain Water Capture System – This will allow us to harvest rain water from our roof and use it for non potable water situations such as watering grass, flower pots, outdoor pressure washing, ETC.
- Future VFD (Variable Frequency Drives) installation at Kenn Borek Aquatic Centre – This allows us to adjust the pumps and motors to very low speeds, significantly reducing energy consumption
- Future Lighting Control System for South Peace Multiplex – This will allow us to control and schedule the lighting system for the South Peace Multiplex reducing energy consumption
- Future Explore solar hot water opportunities for our direct hot water system used for showers and taps – This will allow us to reduce the usage of our hot water tanks